Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Gluten Schmuten: Gluten Free Turkey & Dumplings Soup


So, my boyfriend and I had quite a few thanksgiving celebrations this year. The first was with my family on thanksgiving and those leftovers lasted us a few days after that. And then, Josiawa's family came to town the weekend before last and we had another thanksgiving celebration! And those leftovers lasted a week! So, we cooked it down and made turkey stock and many other delicious things from it! It's been a blast making different things with the leftovers. Last but not least, I made Turkey & Dumplings. I've made this recipe once before (except it was made the traditional way, with chicken) but with a different gluten free dumpling mix. This time around I used Bob Red Mill's. It came out delish! I don't ever write down my soup recipes, only because I'm quite seasoned in making soups. So, feel free to use any soup recipe you'd like.

Here's a Basic Soup recipe: Put olive oil in soup pot, saute your veggies until they're half way cooked. Put in your cooked meat and stock. And turn up the heat (I like to keep it on Medium heat.). Add spices to taste. Once the soup is heating up, start making your dumplings! Dumpling recipe below.

What I used:
Organic Veggies: Celery, Carrots, Yellow Onion, diced fresh garlic and Red Potatoes.
Organic Meat: Turkey
Stock: Turkey Stock
Spices: Dried Oregano + Thyme, Salt & Pepper.

~ Recipe for GF Dumplings: ~

2 Tb of Vegetable Oil or Butter
1/2 cup Milk
1 cup Bob Red Mill's Biscuit and Baking Mix

Directions
In a measuring cup mix milk and oil together. In a bowl place 1 cup of Bob's Red Mill Wheat Free Biscuit Mix and add the milk mixture; stir just until moistened.

Drop by tablespoon full into slowly boiling liquid. Return to a gentle boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 12-15 minutes. Do not remove lid during cooking period.

Makes 15 small dumplings, about 9 good sized dumplings.

Enjoy! xo, Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your information will not be shared.